Saturday, January 26, 2013

January 26






Student receives standing ovation after coming out



Jacob Rudolph, a senior at a high school in New Jersey, came out to his entire class on January 18 at a school awards ceremony. Accepting the award for Best Actor, he said:

"Sure, I've been in a few plays and musicals, but more importantly, I've been acting every single day of my life. You see, I've been acting as someone I'm not. Most of you see me every day. You see me acting the part of 'straight' Jacob, when I am in fact LGBT. Unlike millions of other LGBT teens who have had to act every day to avoid verbal harassment and physical violence, I'm not going to do it anymore. It's time to end the hate in our society and accept people for who they are – regardless of their sex, race, orientation, or whatever else may be holding back love and friendship. So take me, leave me or move me out of the way, because I am what I am, and that's how I'm going to act from now on."

His classmates’ response? A standing ovation. The times, they are a changin’.

Soldier starter kit (just because):

No comments:

Post a Comment